CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 15, 2009

What are your motives?

Wow... I know I've been posting a lot here lately but God has just been speaking to my heart and I want to share. I just can't keep it in. I've been reading and studying 1Corinthians 13:1-7 for going on a week now and God has revealed so much to me through just this small exerpt. I have posted it below:

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

This scripture is quoted time and time again but God has really opened some doors in my heart and allowed me to understand this verse in a new way.
First of all the thing that dawned on me the hardest and heaviest was this.... There are things that are not written within this scripture, but can be understood and assumed based on this scripture. Verse 3 says that if I give everything I own to the poor, but do it without love, it means absolutely nothing. Well these verses describe some extreme things that could be done without love, and be meaningless like have the faith enough to move a mountain..... What about tithing without love? What about when there's someone who gets on your nerves and you do nice gestures for them.... but without love? What about when you're going to Wal-Mart and you see the kids having a bake sale, and you get agitated and toss some money in their bucket thinking, "God will honor this..." but do it without love? This really knocked me over.

How many of you have went to church on Sunday morning out of obligation, but not LOVE? I don't write this pointing fingers... I myself have been guilty of this in the past. How many of you have went and prayed for someone out of duty, and not LOVE?

I really hope that these verses continue to minister to you like they have me. I will be praying and meditating on these verses again this week and praying for God to saturate me with His holy love that I may pass it on to others and do things for people, not out of duty or obligation, but out of the LOVE of Jesus Christ. I pray the same for each of you reading this.

0 comments: